Improving your desktop experience

September 19th, 2008

I finally decided to give tilling, keyboard-controlled window managers a try. First I've tried few (most notably WMII, Ion and xmonad), then chosen one and been configuring it few hours (a one day)... That's how I stepped on the path with no return, because, seriously --- when you've created good keybindings, learned them and can use them fluently is there any reason to stick with classical window managers? Especially on laptops, when there's not always enough time to plug a mouse...

The chosen WM is the xmonad, mostly because of its support for Xinerama - I found a configuration of WMII and Ion for multi-headed, non-xinerama display a bit hard and unpractical. Then I've learned that it was a good choice also because of other reasons; it's a VERY configurable, featureful, fast and extensible WM. Although the title might sound a bit like a text from some big corporation marketing action, xmonad does it. Really.

It's written in haskell, with code base of about 1.5k lines (not counting commentaries) and a lot of contributed extensions (package xmonad-contrib). Its config file is also a pure haskell module which is automatically compiled on each xmonad start (or restart). That makes it fast and pretty stable but has drawbacks. Config file in the beginning is pretty illegible and haskell compiler (GHC) is required for its work. I don't know haskell (yet!), but I managed to configure it, so it can't be that hard.

To use it I had to extend its functionality to satisfactory level (default config makes it rather bare). This are the things which I added (requires only the xmonad-contrib package, one shell script for status bar + some user scripts):
- Conditional config suitable for a xinerama display and a single display.
- Status bar on both monitors using dzen2 with memory usage bar, workspaces, current layout and date
- Tabbed layout
- Named workspaces, switching between current and previous workspace
- Autocompleted prompts of windows and workspaces
- DirExec - autocompleted executing of scripts from a configured directory (e.g. locking display...)
- ShellExec - autocompleted executing programs from our $PATH (better than standard dmenu)
- Making web searches (google, wiki)
- Creation of window copies
- other like for e.g. removal of borders around full-screen mplayer, avoiding clutter of main window with floats etc.

Approach to workspaces
I'm used to having a lot of "virtual desktops", so here I've also created them a lot. WMII has a nice feature - it can tag any number of windows with any number of tags and then display certain set of tagged windows on a screen - practically creating any number of workspaces containing any chosen windows. I emulate this partially, but sufficiently.
There are 9+13=22 workspaces, nine for temporary windows numbered 1 to 9 and accessible via M-(1..9) keybinding (see below)
and 13 named workspaces accessible from autocompleted menu: web web2 web3 im irc mail dev dev2 dev3 adm adm2 adm3 music. Newly created firefox windows land on the "web", pidgin on "im", amarokapp on "music" and claws-mail on "mail".

Files!
Although a screenshot clearly can't make you feel this power, but here it is. Featuring XMonad on two monitors, vimperator and some random windows (BTW: Vimperator is a Firefox plugin making it behave like a vim, allows mouse-less browsing and is a great complement to the tilling WM).

I guess there is no such a thing as a "standard xmonad configuration". When configuring it you have a feeling you are programming a totally new window manager, which will behave exactly as you imagined. Even better if you know haskell.

I use the same configuration on notebook and on a desktop therefore there's a variable setting xinerama config on/off. Last config update on 26.11.2008 (version 0.2).

Default keybinding list
I decided to design the extending keybindings without much differing from the default idea. "M" is a Mod key, which I set to the win button, not used for anything else (S stands for shift). By default M is set to the left alt. I left the basic keybinding as they were (most of them listed, but rarely used omitted):
M-j M-k - swaps focus between windows on one workspace
M-tab M-S-tab - like above
M-h M-l - resizes the master window space (most layouts have such a space)
M-, M-. - change the number of windows in master window area
M-S-j M-S-k - swaps windows on the workspace
M-enter - sets focused window as a master one
M-S-enter - opens terminal
M-e M-w - swaps focus between monitors
M-p - opens at the top an autocompleted list with programs from $PATH and runs one. (Changed to ShellExec)
M-space - changes layout to the next in a list (Tall, Mirrored Tall, Tabbed, Full)
M-S-c - kills a window

M-q - restart (reread the config file)
M-S-q - quit
M-1...M-9 - selects workspace

Extended keybinding list
Following were added by me, and aren't standard (but are crucial!):
These open auto completed prompts at the bottom of the screen and perform an action on a selection:
M-z - move focus to the selected named workspace (can select also numbers from 1 to 9)
M-S-z - move focused window to the selected workspace
M-backspace - switch workspace between current and previous one.

M-x - prompt for any opened window by a title; move focus to the selected window
M-S-x - move selected window to the current workspace

M-a - run a script from ~/.xmonad/scripts (used for locking the screen and turning off a cron-tabbed alarm)
M-v - copy focused window to the selected workspace.

Various other:
M-s - after this press 'g, w, p' which stands for search on google, wiki, and polish wiki.
M-m - prompt for manual page
M-S-v - window can be displayed on various workspaces; this closes all but focused copy of a window

Comment by Paolo Fagni

submitted on September 22nd, 2008 at 14:21

Hello there!
I'm a new xmonad user too, and your config file helped me quite a lot in configuring mine. Thank you, you did a very good work!

Comment by andrew

submitted on September 25th, 2008 at 11:22

Hi,
I'm using a similar configuration. It works well without xinerama, but irritates me with xinerama enabled: if i open 2 terms and put one on the left and one on the right, so there one workspace 1,2 and if i switch between them they seem to swap over and hop to other workspaces or something odd. I heard that's because of the feature that switching workspaces never changes which screen currently has focus. People advised me to use greedyview, but I can't find my way around it yet. Do you know how to achieve that?

Comment by bla

submitted on September 25th, 2008 at 13:41

If I switch with just M-w to the left screen and with M-e to the right screen they won't do nothing funny, just move the focus to the second screen.

Funny things may happen if you try to open the same workspace on both monitors; X/Xinerama doesn't support (or make it hard) showing the same window more then once (also CopyWindow with Xinerama won't work nice). Therefore if you choose on the left screen the same workspace as on right - xmonad will swap the workspaces so the right monitor has something to show.

I guess I've seen sometimes that it didn't swap workspaces but moved focus, but now I'm unsure. Using M-w and M-e for "switching between them" you should be pretty safe. Edit: Yeah - M-z (workspace prompt contrib module) will move focus to the second display in mine configuration while M-1..9 will swap workspaces. Guess it can be forced to behave the same way, but it didn't bother me. ;)

Comment by Kirby54925

submitted on November 3rd, 2008 at 03:52

Will the keybindings for xmonad conflict with keybindings for other applications such as emacs?

Comment by bla

submitted on November 3rd, 2008 at 09:41

They won't as a "mod button" in this configuration is left windows button. They did conflict with my Amarok, but I moved amarok to use left win + alt

Comment by Sohbet

submitted on December 17th, 2008 at 00:22

Hello thanks;)

Çağlar ve dexter harika pozlar kaçırma:D

Comment by sw2wolf

submitted on May 18th, 2009 at 14:36

on FreeBSD
%cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xmonad
%sudo make install clean
===> xmonad-0.8.1_1 depends on executable: ghc - found
===> xmonad-0.8.1_1 depends on package: hs-x11-ghc>=1.4.1 - found
===> xmonad-0.8.1_1 depends on executable: haddock - found
===> xmonad-0.8.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/x11.pc - found
===> xmonad-0.8.1_1 depends on shared library: gmp.8 - found
===> Configuring for xmonad-0.8.1_1
cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xmonad/work/xmonad-0.8.1 && /usr/local/bin/runghc Setup.lhs configure --ghc --prefix=/usr/local
Configuring xmonad-0.8.1...
Setup.lhs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
X11 >=1.4.3
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xmonad.

then i want to upgrade libX11

%sudo portupgrade -R libX11
%pkg_info | grep libX11
libX11-1.2.1,1 X11 library
xcb-util-0.3.4 A module with libxcb/libX11 extension/replacement libraries

However it stll doesnot meet the need of xmonad :(

Comment by bla

submitted on May 18th, 2009 at 15:34

What's funny is that I've tried about 3 days ago compiling xmonad with ports on fbsd and ghc compilation failed in the middle. I can't help much with fbsd but you can try #xmonad on irc.freenode.net. Pretty big user base there (140 users now), and really helpful.

Comment by thanos2014

submitted on May 28th, 2009 at 18:30

hey, can u post your xorg.conf also please? just for reference. u have 1 video card, and 2 monitors? or 2 video card and 2 monitors?

Comment by bla

submitted on May 28th, 2009 at 19:12

Currently 1 video card + 2 monitors. I used to have 2 video cards.
It's written by hand config which was then mangled by nvidia-settings -- but as I understand if you had 2 monitor nvidia card you wouldn't have problem. Nevertheless here it is http://temp.thera.be/xorg.conf

Comment by thanos2014

submitted on May 28th, 2009 at 20:50

sorry, i wasn't specific :p. i am interested in 1 video card + 2 monitors. i have problem :( if u could post the 1 card +2 monitors setup , it would be great :D thanx for answer anyway ;)

Comment by bla

submitted on May 28th, 2009 at 20:58

Well then it is that config you've asked for. ;-) one card, two monitors. If you have nvidia then it should work after removing BusID lines.